Saturday 5 October 2013

Post cards and Postcards, on World Post Day

So, coming Wednesday is World Post day (9th of October), and with all the joy that the postal system has given me, I thought the least I can do is to burden it with a few hundred more letters! So, for starters, I've got some 6-700 creative, sensitive, crazy people at my disposal at NID. But how do I get them to write? To post?

3 weeks back I printed a bunch of postcards and gifted a few to some friends. Among them, Krishna was very enthusiastic and quickly got her sisters' addresses to write to them. Two postcards. Then she made a few queries regarding where one needs to go to post, where one can get stamps and so on. I clarified those. She needed six stamps to post two postcards abroad. I knew going all the way to Relief Road to the GPO to get nice stamps was out of the question, so we struck a deal; I'd give her four stamps out of my collection in exchange for a really nice purple pen she had (come on, don't judge me! It writes really well on postcards!!). Two stamps still remained. (Mind you, I only gave her four hoping she'd make a trip to the post office, less than a kilometre away from college, to get the other two) She asked the others if anyone would give her company till there, and then the chapter temporarily shut.

Three days back, I had some work and had to go to Ellis Bridge Post Office next to college. So I asked her before going and, since it wasn't too much trouble, I picked up stamps for her.

And then remained the last bit; of posting the card. 40? Or is it 45? That's how many steps it takes to go to the post box from the college gate. So I presumed that won't be difficult. But the next thing I know, I was going to go across the road to grab a bite and Krishna says, "Can you please drop this by the post box?"

In the end, I provided the card, bought the stamp AND posted it! (And felt stupid, not to forget!!)

So I figured there needs to be a greater motivation for people to make an effort. And what might that be?

Okay... It's not a fool proof plan, but here's how it goes.

I've managed to collect some of the most amazing art pieces, illustrations and photographs from some of the most talented people sitting here at NID. Along with that I added a trip to the GPO to get a whole bunch of pretty stamps (And by a whole bunch I mean just a little over 700!).

So the deal is that while these amazing, irresistible post cards lie before you, you cannot just buy them for keeping; the deal is to buy a crazy post card with a beautiful stamp and promise to write it to someone (I know, I know, sounds cheeky when I use that word!).


Either way, the question is, can I make a bunch of NIDians walk across the road to the post box? Three days to find out!


For all you guys reading, get your addresses together, because I'm gonna do everything to make sure you don't get that card unless you're writing to someone!!


And just as we part, don't be heart broken. Remember, stamps are meant to be stamped and postcards are meant to be posted. If you fall in love with either, click a photo and get over it! But do send it across and make someone smile. Trust me, it's gonna be one amazing smile!
 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Shivani! We both thank you for making us feel such wonderful. I was always sure of ur superb creative mind. May god bless you with loads and tons of success in all spheres of life. Thanks a ton deary sis.

    Regards
    Ark & Vatsala

    ReplyDelete